Thursday, September 15, 2011

Something Old and Something New

<< Yarn Along  |  Main

Today I was lucky enough to receive two gifts -- something old and something new. 

My mom visited today and brought us the little rocking chair that was mine when I was a child... the very same one that was hers as a child!  Nathan's eyes lit up when he saw the little chair, and I recalled fond memories sitting in that chair when I was young.  I think I even remember knitting in it.  (My mom will have to verify that.  She taught me the knit stitch when I was about seven or eight, I think.  It's too bad I had forgotten all about knitting until I was in my early 20s!)


The rocking chair is still in great condition, and I love the warm, honey maple finish. (Sorry for the lame photos and bad lighting -- it seemed darker than usual in my living room tonight.)  The little bear illustration on the back is so sweet -- my mom remembers loving it when she was a child, and I do, too. 


Is this meaningful rocking chair not one of the best gifts ever?!  I look forward to giving it to Nathan and his first child someday.

The "something new" is a set of pretty turquoise prints I received in the mail today from Amanda at KarMama


Aren't they lovely?  I had won her surprise giveaway a little while back, and had no idea what would arrive in my mailbox.  Amanda's note said, "Sometimes it's just nice to get mail."  She's so right!  I'm going to pick up some little frames for these guys and hang them in my studio, where they can inspire my creativity.  I wonder how she knew turquoise is my favorite color.

6 comments:

  1. What a lovely family heirloom! You little boy looks so sweet sitting in it ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How sweet he looks in the chair. I gave the rocking horse my daughter used to my granddaughter and could not believe how fast the time went! Enjoy! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. New follower from Finding New Friends Weekend Blog Hop!!! Please follow back!!!! =D


    http://corabeth27.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two beautiful gifts, each wonderful in their own way :) That little bear reminds me of the drawing on my own crib, a sweet little lamb that looked like it was painted by the same hand. I love that you get to pass it on.

    Thank you for sharing this with us at Rub Some Dirt On It!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that turquoise color--reminds me of a sun print.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Kelly;
    Oh, that rocking chair melted my heart. No wonder the little pyjama boy seems so at home there.
    Prints are lovely too. Guess Amanda is right about receiving mail!
    Kin regards
    Lilli

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...