Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Yarn Along and Running Out of Yarn



I finished Nathan’s Raindrop Socks yesterday (get the free pattern here), so I’m back on his Tomten Jacket.  And you may have guessed it by the title of this post.  I’m running out of yarn.  (Not in my stash, sillies!  : )  That would be a true emergency.)  I guess that’s what happens when you buy yarn for a Baby Surprise Jacket and knit a Tomten Jacket, which is a lot longer and has a hood.  Oh dear.


I had a loose plan for the stripes on the body, clearly no plan for the hood, and was going to wing the stripes on the sleeves.  But now I’m getting to the top of the body and I’m almost out of green yarn.  And I still have two sleeves and a hood to knit.  So it looks like I’ll need to come up with some kind of backup plan.

I’m almost finished reading An Irish Country Doctor, and I just discovered that the Dr. Patrick Taylor has written two more books that take place in this 1960s Irish setting, so I just bought An Irish Country Village and I can’t wait to start it.  Each book contains traditional Irish recipes from the doctor’s housekeeper’s character’s perspective, and I was inspired to make Irish Soda Bread for a friend who was visiting the other day with her little ones, but I didn’t have any buttermilk on hand.  But I’m armed and dangerous now, so I just need some new victims.  I love when I get inspired by a book. 

What are you knitting and reading?

I'm linking up to Ginny's Yarn Along on Small Things.

13 comments:

  1. The colours look great. You can make a buttermilk substitute by mixing milk and lemon juice and letting it stand for a few minutes

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just about to mention how to make buttermilk substitute, but it appears I was beaten to it ;)

    I love the stripes, could you find a green that is almost the same colour for the sleeves and hood?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am amazed at all the knitting you accomplish Kelly. The jacket is adorable and I can't wait to see what you come up with to finish it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mmm, soda bread :) You can subsitute a tablespoon of vinager in a cup of milk for buttermilk in most recipes too(it's how I make soda bread, we never have buttermilk.) The books sound interesting, I'll have to look for them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just love the colors you are using!

    Thanks for sharing your books. It looks like something I would really like to read. Have you read any of the Jack Sheffield books? They are all about a head teachers time teaching in country schools in Yorkshire - they are often very humerous. I am about to pick up the final one in the series from the library. I have been totally hooked.

    Blessings
    Shirley Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. The sock pattern is so lovely - on the list now!!
    Good luck with your tomten - it's so frustrating to run out of yarn!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Darn! Others have beaten me with the buttermilk substitute. Oh well. Cute Tomten.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh no! Running out of yarn is not a good thing. The sweater looks lovely :) I hope you can find more yarn or fudge the sweater.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you can come up with a plan for the yarn issue...looks like a great jacket.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love the colors -- it'll be perfect for fall! I hope you can find some yarn that will work well to finish it up. Can you still buy yarn in the same dyelot as the original purchase?

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I was going to tell you about the vinegar in the milk to instantly make buttermilk. I do it all the time for pancakes.

    Nice Tomten!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...