Sunday, August 19, 2012

Nursery Sneak Peek: Lamp Before and After

Today we're back from the beach, a long weekend away -- our first family vacation, in fact!  Now that the craziness of packing, then relaxing, and then repacking (and sorta unpacking) is done, it's time for me to get back in Baby #2's nursery.  I'd better finish what I've started before he makes his big appearance (in just five weeks, give or take!).

For the nursery, I scored an inexpensive lamp and shade from Target that go perfectly with the green backdrop of our nature theme. I found that the plain white lamp shade was fading into the background, and at first I thought that was okay.  After all, your eye needs a rest every so often, and I seem to be packing this baby's room with more stuff than I did Nathan's room.


But then I got an idea....  Cover the shade with one of the softer coordinating fabrics from the pennant banner, like the yellow one.  And then I got a better idea: Trim the lampshade in the same fabric as the curtain, which also appears in the banner.  A-ha!





I love how it turned out.  The vibrant colors and fun, cheery, irregular striping just make me happy, and the lamp no longer fades into the corner.
So, how did I do it?  I simply cut two strips of fabric one inch wide by lengths long enough to wrap around the shade.  I folded it in half lengthwise, right sides together, and sewed a seam with a half-inch seam allowance resulting in a half-inch-wide tube.  I trimmed the seam allowance to a quarter inch, turned the tube right side out and pressed it with the seam in the back. Viola!

Then I used Thermoweb self-adhesive sheets to adhere the strips to the lamp.  It was almost too easy, if you ask me.  Especially for this great result!

Since the lamp photos are a bit dull, here are a few other inexpensive Target finds that fit right into our color scheme:

The bear in the blue shirt is from Babies R Us (not Target). Allen wrench not included!



Stay tuned for more nursery-themed posts.  I want to get this room finished within the next few weeks and will then do a big reveal.  Can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...