Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Yarn Along & New Socks in Progress


I took a few days off from blogging and it was a nice break, but I’m very glad to be back in this space.  I hope everyone enjoyed their Labor Day weekends; we were still in Summer Caretaker Mode, but today was our first official day of fall and I’m glad to have my husband back.  It was a nice day.

Okay, on to the knitting!  As always, I’m linking up to Ginny’s Yarn Along on Wednesdays.


I put my August socks (hah!) on hold to cast on my September socks.  How's that for discipline?  (What, knitters don't have that?  Oh well!)  They’re my own slipped stitch design, and they’ll be for Nathan.  They’ll fit his chubby nearly two-year-old feet, and I’ll write up a three-year-old size, too.  Stay tuned for the free pattern!  I hope to have it posted next week.


I’m knitting my Teardrop Socks pattern in Knit Picks Stroll Handpainted in colorway Playtime.  See how the alternating columns of slipped stitches kinda look like teardrops?  If these were knitted from the toe up instead of the cuff down, they'd just look like slipped stitches.  But beacuse they're upside down.... I don't know, maybe they just look like upside-down slipped stitches.  But I like 'em because they break up the striping and will prevent pooling, if that were to happen with this size foot circumference (not likely, I'd imagine).  They also show off the colorway a little better.

Nathan was so happy that I tried them on him today, needles and all, and I love how perfectly they fit and how the vertical design of the teardrops—er, slipped stitches—reminds me of boots... or legwarmers.

I’m still working on Nathan’s Tomten Jacket, and it’s easy knitting for when I need a break and don’t want to think too hard about my knitting.  I keep changing my plans for how the striping will go—that’s code for, I’m making it up as I go along.  We’ll see how it goes! 

You can see how into fall I am with these fall-inspired colors.  Do you like how they clash with my spring/summer bedspread?  Maybe it's time I changed it over.

Oh, and An Irish Country Doctor is still tickling me pink.

15 comments:

  1. Yes, it's time to slip ;-) into fall!
    I'm ready for some oranges and browns too.
    The socks look great! Can't wait to see them on some cute baby feet.
    Have a great week!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love slipped stitch patterns, and i like the way yours look on cuff down socks, very cute :) Fab colours too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the socks! Great colorway.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful. I was going to say the teardrops or v's remind me of geese flying south for the winter.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the colors on your tomten! That's one I have yet to make, but it's definitely on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the colors and the pattern of your socks! Bet your little one is very excited about getting these beautiful socks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Super cute. I have a soon to be three year old in my life. I think she'll need a pair of socks soon.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the fallish color of the socks! I am so ready for the change in seasons.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Those socks are just so cute.
    Your others designs are beautiful too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your autumn inspired knitting and adore the stripy socks, so cute........An Irish County Doctor sound like a fun read.

    ReplyDelete
  11. love those fall colors and such cute socks! Can't wait for the pattern!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. i love the color too..fall has been calling to me for weeks and it is finally here in my neck of the woods! thank goodness. i need the rest... lol

    :)
    jen

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi!
    I'm not a knitter, but I love the colors and the shape of this sock. Beautiful! As for your book, I went and checked it out and it's now on my ever growing TBR(to be read)list. Sounds like a delightful book. Have a great day!

    Sherrie
    Food for Thought
    http://100sweets.blogspot.com/2011/09/fibers-on-friday.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...