Thursday, May 26, 2011

I'm Back on the Radar

After months and months of putting everyone else first (as of today, 18 of them, to be exact!) I realized how much I'm neglecting myself.  As you can see, I do take the time to knit, craft and read, but I don't take the time to care for myself the way I should.  I recently looked at some pictures of myself from the weekend and realized that I look, well, like a schlub.

I laughed at how the Urban Dictionary defined it:

Schlub (n): One who is unkempt in appearance, either due to lack of effort or lack of awareness. The opposite of metrosexual.  (I laughed out loud about the metrosexual part.)

But I don't like how my go-to dictionary Merriam-Webster defined it:

Schlub (n) slang: a stupid, worthless or unattractive person.  (I'm not that bad, am I?)

I guess oversized sweatshirts, plain old t-shirts, jeans,  beat-up (but comfortable!) clogs, hair pulled back and sometimes a bandana on my head aren't doing it for me anymore.  That's why I bought some casual dresses earlier this week at Target.  They're inexpensive and let me tell you, the designers are finally onto something: the dresses hide my gut pretty darn well.  (That's another thing I should do something about if I'm going to make an effort to take better care of myself.)  Any time I tried on dresses in the past -- I have distinct memories of trying to find a dress for my college graduation, even though it was almost 10 years ago -- I couldn't find a dress that didn't accentuate the roll around my middle.  Well, at Target, I found five!

So among all the chaos caused by the broken washing machine, the still-wet carpet and all the dirty laundry piling up, I'm putting it out there that I'm back on the radar.  Even if it means that I'm getting "dressed up" to get dirty outside with my toddler, clean the house or write all by myself in my office for five hours at a clip.  I feel better about myself already.

3 comments:

  1. You are just lovely. You MUST take care of yourself first so that you will be able to
    take care of others...that is the advice my
    granny gave me when I married. It holds true
    even after all these years.
    Have a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Tracey! Your granny gave you some good advice. It took me a little while to figure this one out. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. You look so pretty in that Blue! Smart to match your eyes! I had no idea that you had a small disaster with the house :( Wish you had told me! Miss you
    Ali xox

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...