Sunday, July 3, 2011

First Picnic & Strawberry Banana Smoothie Recipe

This weekend I finally finished planting my shade garden, and it was cause for celebration—it was time for our first picnic under the shade of our Indian Cigar Tree!  While Nathan napped I prepared our picnic basket, blanket and snacks, and left the whirring of the blender for our strawberry banana smoothies for after he woke.

A blanket marked our spot by the woodland garden.  I’d hoped that marking our location would keep Nathan from wandering too far away, but I think the only thing that made him sit still (for a few mere minutes, anyway) was the promise of a yogurt smoothie, even though I doubt he knew what that was!






Clearly, the fun of seasonal recipes is using fresh, in-season fruit, but because we had picked more strawberries than we could eat—and because my oven was broken so I couldn’t make a second Strawberry Summer Cake while the berries were fresh—I had to freeze some strawberries a few weeks ago.  So that makes this recipe good for any time of year.  But if you want to use fresh strawberries instead of frozen, I’d try adding a cup of ice and reducing the amount of yogurt to ¾ cup or maybe even ½ cup. 

** Updated July 5, 2011 ** I used fresh (but store-bought, unfortunately) strawberries and altered the recipe to include 3/4 cup fresh strawberries, 1 cup ice, and 3/4 cup yogurt.

Here’s my recipe:

Strawberry Banana Smoothies

Makes four servings (although it can be eaten in two large servings, as we did!)

About 2 cups frozen strawberries
2 cups vanilla yogurt
1 ripe banana
½ tbsp honey

In a blender, combine frozen strawberries and yogurt.  Blend until smooth.  Then add the banana and honey and blend again. 

They’re the perfect consistency for drinking through a straw, especially if enjoyed outside in the summer heat.  And they're very good with cheese and crackers.  Enjoy!



9 comments:

  1. Oh how yummy! I still have to wait a couple of months for strawberry season here!

    Thanks for linking to a Round Tuit!
    Hope you have a great weekend!
    Jill @ Creating my way to Success
    http://www.jembellish.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yum! Strawberries are everywhere around here, we'll definitely be making these. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy, thanks for the recipe. What a perfect spot to picnic! I am jealous ;) Thanks for sharing and linking up with us! Hope you will come back and party with us again!
    Britney
    www.jandmseyecandy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hopping over from Earth Mama. Mmmmmmm....smoothies...try freezing them in pop molds. I just started doing that this year and my kids gobble them down! I'm going to have to try that strawberry cake. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your little guy is so so cute! I know how those little guys go though...they don't stay put for long. I bet you had a nice after smoothie picnic chase though. Thanks for sharing!

    :)Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my goodness. He is so cute! And those smoothies look SO GOOD! We would LOVE to have you link this up to our giveaway and party! http://sixsistersstuff.blogspot.com/2011/07/strut-your-stuff-saturday-week-1.html

    The Sisters @ sixsistersstuff.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey Kelly!

    This is Elyse from Six Sister's Stuff again! We just wanted to let you know we would be featuring your smoothie in our Fresh Food Friday segment this week! Come by and grab a "featured" button!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your little guy doesn't even know how lucky he is drinking healthy mama made smoothies!

    Blessings, Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  9. These look so yummy, and perfect for summer time! Thanks for showing off all of your fun projects on my blog!

    Carlee
    www.ladybirdln.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...