Thursday, April 21, 2011

Preparing for a Homemade Easter

As we count down the days to Easter, I’m gearing up for the family holiday.  Nathan’s knitted bunny is done, I have goodies ready to put in his Easter basket and last night I sewed the final seam on his spring cardigan to be worn to Easter dinner at my parents’ house. 

But now the real preparations begin: this year I’m baking a lemon cake (isn’t lemon such a light, fresh flavor for spring?), rolling out shortbread cookies in spring-inspired shapes and am making mac n’ cheese for the dinner table.  And, of course, it’s all from scratch.

So like any plan-aholic, I’ve devised a plan:

  • Make cookie dough Friday night and chill overnight. 
  • Roll out and bake shortbread cookies on Saturday. 
  • Bake lemon cake Saturday night.
  • Make mac n’ cheese Sunday morning.
Too much to handle?  Naaaah.  I’m looking forward to it!

The lemon cake is Martha Stewart’s recipe; lemony, light and fresh, I sprinkle it with just a touch of confectioner’s sugar right before serving. 

The shortbread cookies are a very special recipe to my family; I’m the third generation to make them.  My grandmother jotted down the recipe from a 1940’s radio show and sent away for her Christmas cookie cutters from a lady called “Aunt Chick.”  She made the cookies with my mom when she was young, my mom made them with me when I was a kid—such great memories—and I can’t wait to make them with Nathan when he gets a little bit older.  For Easter, my cutouts will be the spring-inspired shapes of a chick, a watering can and more, topped with homemade icing in pastel shades.

My mac n’ cheese recipe can be found here.  It’s standard, but delicious.  A friend told it to me off the top of her head years ago; she’d made quite the impression on me.  It wasn’t the only recipe she’s given me over the phone.  My post about my mac n’ cheese recipe gives a little extra detail on timing and temperature that will help you get the perfect cheese sauce.

I look forward to gathering with my family on Sunday and sharing a delicious, special meal together.  All the time, energy and care spent preparing will be well worth it.

1 comment:

  1. I love the sweet simplicity of your Easter celebration.
    Warm wishes, Tonya

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...